Sunday, April 5, 2009
So I volunteered to make the background and send it to her to complete the applique portion. Among all the fabric I walked away with at the time (See Here - Runaway Stash) were a few charm packs to use for this project. When Brenda dropped by for a visit at the begining of March I saw the opportunity to get this project off the ground.
Before she left I had the large background completed but I still needed to work on the flying geese and the small squares on the top and bottom of the background.
Well this one did not sit around very long. I did work on getting this one out the door sooner than later. I knew that when I finished it the quilt would still be half done but I don't like letting people down and especially my sister who never let's me down. I put this project on the top of my list of things to finish and last weekend I completed it!
Now it's off to Brenda's house for the finishing applique.
If you liked this pattern and don't want to buy the back issue from American Patchwork and Quilting, you can find it at The Cotton Shop which is the shop that was featured in the magazine and who designed the quilt.
Friday, April 3, 2009
My daughter (Dre) fell in love with a pattern by Thimble Blossoms and while she was visiting her aunt Brenda in NH convinced her to supply her with the pattern and a kit from her shop (Pumpkin Patch Primitives) to make the quilt. The original pattern is called Wallflower and can be found at http://www.thimbleblossoms.com/ under patterns.
Dre changed it a bit to make it her own.
I helped cut the larger (thicker) pieces and helped by teaching Dre how to Machine Applique using a zig-zag stich. she took it from there and built the quilt on her own. When quilting time rolled around she did all the stitch in the ditch and I took over with the free motion.
Unfortunately time ran out and Dre needed to head back to school so it was up to me to finish the quilting and bind the quilt.
She finially received the quilt in her Valentine's day care package.
The A is for Andrea.
The back of the quilt is pieced with the same fabrics that can be found in the front.
It was an excellent weekend project and yielded a beautiful lap quilt (that she appears to use!)