Sunday, September 6, 2009
Posted by Strlady at 11:19 AM
This top took no time at all. I highly recommend this one for a quick day project.
Reading the instructions I found myself a bit confused but a quick email to Camille Roskelley (the designer) got me on track. I didn't get the whole sewing the strips in place because I originally thought that the quilt was pieced based on strips but the top has the strip layered on. Check out the pictures and you will get what I mean.
First I cut the strips and found the right layout. As you can see the background for each block is cut whole and then the strips placed on top, giving the illusion of a strip pieced quilt.
Of course I am very anal and had to make sure that the strips would line up properly with the block next to it. So, I took time to mark placement lines on to the background fabric.
I then lined up the strips and pinned in place before sewing the strips on.
Here you can see that the strips are sewn in place with the raw edges exposed which will give the quilt a scruffy look after it's quilted and washed.
Before the rows are sew together I lay it out to make sure everything is in place. At this point I noticed that I screwed up and rotated the blocks incorrectly during my first layout session. Now if I were to follow the pattern the block movement would have been a bit different but at this point the only ones that will know I screwed up is me and Camille (and all you folks now). I decided that any baby snuggling under this will not care so I left things as is.
Added my borders and got the applique in place and I'm done!
Now I'm off to get the next top done before marking, basting and quilting!